Wednesday, April 18, 2012

End of the Year Teacher's Gifts


I used to give all my kids’ teachers the same end of the year gift – and I’m not ashamed to say, a big part of it was from the dollar store. However, before you think I’m the cheapest person in the world, let me tell you I spent hours painting the sundae glasses I bought there. The ones pictured are my family’s – well worn after many years of use. I especially love this train sundae glass (right) that I gave my son (who was at the time two and crazy about trains). Even though the train tracks have now worn off, I think he loved it. 
Anyway, I would gather four or five glasses, paint them with themes and place them in a pretty basket filled with chocolate, strawberry, and caramel sauce, plus a jar of sprinkles. It was a coveted gift. 
After several years of doing this, I got tired and decided to have the kids paint terra cotta pots and filled them with herbs…much less stress for me and the kids loved it. As a matter of fact, one of my oldest son’s teachers told me that she still has the little pot that my son painted when he was five …he’s now 20! I still think hand made gifts are best, but I do pitch in for the occasional gift card. I haven't decided what to do this year...the last year of elementary school. Sigh.
Linking to:
Visit thecsiproject.com

4 comments:

Shabby chic Sandy said...

That is sweet that you make gifts for your kids teachers. I have made cards before with a picture of my kids and they have said they keep those. I am sure these teachers get pretty attached to our sweet children. :)

Anonymous said...

As a teacher, I would love and keep either of those gifts. I'm going to confess that most of the typical gifts (coffee mugs, apple-themed anything) are given to goodwill. Other good ideas are things like office supplies (good pens, post-it's), coffee or tea (just not mugs), a nice water bottle, plants, etc. I personally would love a set of hand painted margarita glasses, although I don't think it's appropriate from a student :)

Janny said...

This is a great idea. I agree- handmade gifts are the best. People will always remember them.

Amy* said...

These are so pretty! What a unique and thoughtful gift! I've heard from many a teacher how much hand made gifts mean to them because they often are bombarded with gift certificates and what not. I'm sure the Teacher's will be delighted with these lovelies:)

Amy*