Friday, January 21, 2011

I Heart Boxes


Finally, finally getting to my Valentine’s Day boxes…ideas have been swimming around in my head for days, but life and work just kept getting in the way! Don’t ya just hate it when that happens?
So, what did I create? Well, the box on top for one. Now, how did I do it? Let me share that with you.

I started with a wooden heart box that I snapped up at a yard sale, sanded it, primed it and then looked at my paper stash for a pretty paper with just a touch of pink in it. I mixed a glazing medium with DecoArt’s slate grey acrylic paint (one of my favorite colors for antiquing). Applied the glaze, let it sit for about 15 seconds and then wiped it off.
Then, I distressed the paper heart around the sides with some Stayz-on ink – you need to use permanent ink or else the ink will smear. Glued it down. Now, the fun begins! I checked out my stash of broken vintage jewelry – just look at all that eye candy! 
Found an old lace doily – it was my grandma’s, but badly stained – and cut a sweet little piece. Glued it down. Then artfully arranged the vintage pieces on top. I used my old faithful gorilla glue to secure it. 
One down, four to go. I’m going to be a busy gal this weekend...

Linking to: 
504 MainChic on a Shoestring Decorating

A Little Knick Knack
Party Button




5 comments:

Sherry@Back2Vintage said...

It's like a 3-D collage! Beautiful work!!!
Sherry@Back2Vintage

Vicki said...

Very nice altered heart boxes!

Cassie Bustamante said...

um i see a future diy club entry... ;)

Megan Gunyan said...

I love how you changed it! It looks beautiful!

AllieMakes! said...

That is really cute! Great job!
Thank you for linking up to Making It With Allie! I can't wait to see what you are going to lnk up next week!
Alliemakes.Blogspot.com