Friday, October 22, 2010

The Truth

My sister's jewelry show was very successful and I sold four jewelry boxes, too!
Very happy!
creative+liar+award.jpgOn Tuesday, as part of winning the Creative Writer Blogger award, I shared 6 things about myself and only one was true. So, which one was true, you ask?
1. After graduating from college, I worked as a fashion intern and then assistant fashion writer at Seventeen Magazine. It was very low paying and I eventually had to leave New York, so I could actually eat.
False. I wish it were true. I actually was a fashion copywriter in Philadelphia right after I graduated. Got offered the same job and New York, but turned it down. They offered me $15,000 - I think that might of covered five months rent.

2. My grandparents had a farm in Vermont. Me and my sister would spend the entire summer there and every time we came home, our house was changed. For example, one August we came back to find a new sunporch off of our kitchen. Other summers, we would find our bedrooms completely changed -- new bedspreads, freshly painted walls, etc. It was fun trying to guess what would change while we were away.
Totally false; I don't even know anyone who lives in Vermont. 3. I learned to ski when I was only four years old. I skied throughout high school (but we didn't have a team, just a club) and finally realized my dream when I joined my college ski team as a freshman. I quit my sophomore year after I ran into a snow making machine in front of my teammates.
False. I learned to ski in high school and didn't actually get good at it until my early 20s. I did run into a snow making machine and actually got stuck there until some kind soul pulled me up (that was in high school).4. When I was working as the senior editor of FTD's Florist Magazine, famous rock musician Bob Seger's wife (Annette Sinclair) wore my wedding dress on the cover of our bridal issue. It was a size two and it was still too big on her so we had to pin it up in the back.
Truth. That girl was so tiny that we had to pin the back of the dress and photograph her in a certain way so you couldn't tell (way before Photoshop).5. When I brought home a "grab bag box" from a local flea market, I found a beautiful, but dirt-covered, precious stone brooch. After researching online, I found similar brooches valued at $300. I paid a total of $5 for the entire box of items! I still have it and should probably sell it because I've never worn it.
False. A dream.6. I went to college to study journalism, but switched my major halfway through my junior year to fine arts. My parents weren't happy. I ended up graduating with two BA degrees, but was much poorer as a result. I did finally manage to pay off my student loans after I was married.
False. I majored in art and fashion for a year and ended up with a degree in journalism.

Now, I have to pass on the award. Hmm, who shall I pass this on to? Let's see, how about Gina at 
The Shabby Chic Cottage
and Mandi at
Vintage Revivals
Ladies: Just grab the Creative Writer Blogger graphic from this page and let your creative mind go wild! Write six things about yourself long or short and make ONLY ONE the truth. I know you can do it.

No comments: