Monday, October 18, 2010

Tales of the Table

This darn table. What started out as a relatively easy project became one of those Murphy's Law things (I have a lot of those).
Anyway, about two months ago, I fell in love with this table buried under a mountain of junk at a thrift store. When I saw the price, I knew it was meant to be. It needed some TLC, but not that much.

Brought it home and spray painted the legs a flat black and they looked great. The wood top needed to be sanded and re-stained, so I tackled that this weekend, and it came out DARK...way too dark. With the black legs, the whole table lost its original beauty. (See photo, above right).

What to do? Instead of re-staining, I thought that I would repaint, so I asked my friend Cassie at Primitive & Proper for some color advice (she's an expert at painting furniture). She gave me some advice and I started collecting paint chips.

Then I remembered what my business was all about --using what I have or getting things from tag sales, oops paint sections, etc. So, taking my own advice, I scoured by basement paint shelves and choose Benjamin Moore's Fernwood Green (which, by the way, covers my office walls). I love this paint because it looks different everywhere you use it -- and it always looks good EXCEPT when you can't paint. Yes, the color looked great with the black (well, almost black) wood top, but I screwed up on painting the legs ... another quick email to Cassie. More advice. Repaint.

Two days later, I'm done. I love the results, but this project was only supposed to take me about two hours. 

Back to my craft closet to tackle some smaller projects...

10 comments:

Cassie Bustamante said...

it turned out fabulously!!! i know it isn't going in that room, but i must say i love the shot of dark wood in that room. looks great and gives it some weight!

Christa @ Stories of a House said...

Renzie,
I just found your blog from Cassie and am your newest follower! I love the table. What color did you choose in the end? It is a great combination with the dark top!
Christa

Christa @ Stories of a House said...

Sorry I was typing too fast. I meant "Renee." :)

kathie said...

It looks beautiful! I am a huge fan of painted bottoms & stained tops, so I am partial to a piece like this :) Hope you are proud of your hard work!

Artichoke Alley said...

Love the table and love your honesty!! It's seems as though the easiest projects around here end up taking the longest so, I'm glad I'm not the only that happens to! Thanks for sharing and I hope you truly enjoy your table!

Anonymous said...

What a darling table. This style is one of my favorites. They look good as a sofa table or desk. You brought it back to life! Beautiful!

Megan Gunyan said...

The color is wonderful! You did a great job. It looks beautiful. I'm having one of those moments with a certain frustrating piece of furniture. I have to re-do it and it's making me very upset! Gr. Wish me luck!

I hope you can join my giveaway going on now! alittleknickknack.blogspot.com

Kim @ A Brush of Whimsy said...

Lovely! Some project are like that, aren't they? I seem to have too many that take longer than I expected, too! :)

Robin Johnson said...

Dont' you just hate projects like that. It seems the more you do the worse it gets.

However this time it worked out ok. I think your table looks fabulous now.

Biljana said...

Great makeover, it looks so beautiful:))
Greetings from Europe, Biljana